Frequently Asked Questions | NWO Outfitters | Lake of the Woods Ontario | Hunting & Fishing Guide Services

Many common questions are answered below…just click the question to expand the answer. You may also call us at (807) 468-4263 or send us an email for topics not covered here.

Where are you located?

NWO Whitetail Outfitters operates out of Kenora, Ontario, Canada. This is the northwestern part of Ontario, near the Manitoba border. Kenora, Ontario is a beautiful tourist community situated on the north shore of the scenic Lake of the Woods, at the origin of the mighty Winnipeg River.

How do I get to Kenora, Ontario?

Many Americans driving to Kenora come across the U.S./Canada border at International Falls, Minnesota. the Transcanada Highway runs through Kenora making it easy to drive here. If you prefer to fly, the two closest International Airports are located in Winnipeg, Manitoba, and International Falls, Minnesota, both approximately 135 miles from Kenora. Car rentals or shuttles are available in International Falls and Winnipeg.

What is the American Plan?

The American Plan means that the quoted rate includes three meals a day, i.e. breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Non-alcoholic beverages like soda and bottled water are included. Alcoholic beverages are not included. Our camp cook, Sue, serves as your personal chef during the hunting season.

What is fair chase hunting?

Our hunts are the ethical, sportsmanlike, and lawful pursuit and taking of wild, free-ranging big game deer. I post each and every deer that is taken.  Not all deer taken are trophies but there is a real possibility of getting a deer of a lifetime. Hunters will obey all applicable Ontario game laws and regulations.

What weapon(s) can I use?

NWO Whitetail are the largest bodied North American Whitetail species. They grow a thick coat and hide to withstand our extremely cold winters and large bone structure to reach food during deep snow conditions. They are very tough and can absorb a fair bit of punishment without going down. I recommend a minimum of 270 win. with larger calibers welcomed. Bullet construction is key in all calibers, I believe a premium round with a ballistic tip to be the best combination. Heavy constructed bullets in the bigger calibers tend to pass through the animal without causing the hemorrhage or shock that is essential for a human kill and a quick recovery of the trophy. As well, it is advisable to bring a gun you are familiar with and feel comfortable shooting.

What information and forms do I need for taking guns into Canada as a U.S. Citizen?

For more information on transporting firearms into Canada please CLICK HERE.

What is the minimum age for firearms?

Only persons age 18 years or older are allowed to bring firearms into Canada. While persons younger than 18 may use a firearm in Canada under certain circumstances, an adult must be present and will be held legally responsible for the firearm and its use.

The Canadian Non-Resident Firearms Declaration

U.S. citizens bringing firearms into Canada, or taking firearms through Canada to Alaska are required to fill out a Non-Resident Firearms Declaration (Form CAFC 909 EF). The form must be presented in triplicate, unsigned, to a Canadian customs officer at the traveler’s first point of entry into Canada. Remember, the customs officer must witness the signature, so do not sign the form beforehand.

Persons bringing more than three firearms into Canada, will also need to fill out a Non-Resident Firearms Declaration Continuation Sheet.

Once it has been approved by the Canadian customs officer, the Non-Resident Firearms Declaration is valid for 60 days. The confirmed form acts as a license for the owner and as a temporary registration certificate for the firearms brought to Canada. The declaration can be renewed for free, providing it is renewed before it expires, by contacting the Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) (call 1-800-731-4000) of the relevant Canadian province or territory.

A confirmed Non-Resident Firearms Declaration costs a flat fee of $25, regardless of the number of firearms listed on it. It is valid only for the person who signs it and only for those firearms listed on the declaration.

Persons bringing firearms into Canada must also comply with Canadian Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms regulations. The Canadian customs officer at the point of entry can inform firearms owners on these regulations.

Firearms Allowed, Restricted and Prohibited

Approval of the Non-Resident Firearms Declaration allows only standard rifles and shotguns commonly used for hunting and target shooting to be transported into or through Canada.

Handguns with at least 4-inch barrels are considered “restricted” firearms and are allowed in Canada, but require the completion an approval of an Application for an Authorization to Transport Restricted Firearms. This Non-Resident Firearm Declaration costs $50 Canadian.

Handguns with barrels shorter than 4-inches, fully automatic, converted automatics, and assault-type weapons are “prohibited” and not allowed in Canada. In addition, certain knives, even those used for hunting and fishing, may be considered prohibited weapons by Canadian officials.

Other Things You Need to Know

In all cases, travelers must declare to Canadian Customs authorities any firearms and weapons in their possession when entering Canada. There are often facilities near border crossings where weapons may be stored, pending the traveler’s return to the United States, but this should be done before attempting to enter Canada.

Canadian law requires that officials seize firearms and weapons from persons crossing the border who deny having them in their possession. Seized firearms and weapons are never returned.

By far the easiest way to transport firearms is to have them crated and shipped to your destination via a commercial carrier.

What is camp like?

Our camp accommodations are in a comfortable cabin located on an island approximately 17 miles from Kenora, Ontario. We transport you and your gear from Kenora to the island in quality, open Lund boats. Please be sure your gear is packed in weatherproof bags.

Camp Cook & Handyman

HC 2014 - 44

Sunset on Lake of The WoodsIMG_0565




What form or permit will I need in order to bring my whitetail deer back across the border?

One must purchase a non-resident export permit which is $35.00 Canadian in order to bring your whitetail deer across to the US. The export permits are available in Fort Frances and Rainy River.

Our Local Ministry of Natural Resources phone number in Fort Frances is (807) 274 – 5337.

Will my family be able to contact me while at camp?

Yes. We have direct contact with my wife in case of emergency and clients need to be contacted.

What are your rates?

NWO Outfitters has standard prices for basic packages. We are always willing to consider requests to modify a package or try an innovative new idea.

If you are interested in prices for any of NWO Outfitter’s services, please contact us via phone or email.

Pat James
NWO Whitetail Outfitters
(807) 468-4263